S. BUTLER RIVER SYSTEM INDUSTRIAL SUPPLY
industrial water supply division consists of the S. Palmer Gaillard
and the Burton S. Butler River System.
The Burton S. Butler River System consists of a Bucks Pumping Station
located on the Mobile River, associated pipelines, open channels,
reservoirs, a pumping station located in Saraland, and a regulator
Butler River System and the S. Palmer Gaillard Pumping Station supply
our industrial customers water from both Mobile River and J.B. Converse
The Burton S. Butler River System also provides an emergency supply
of water that can be treated for potable use.
PALMER GAILLARD PUMPING STATION AT J.B. CONVERSE RESERVOIR
the period from 1907 to 1940, the city kept pace with providing water
service for the population growth until the outbreak of World War
II, when it became increasingly apparent that the existing sources
of supply were inadequate and unreliable. A new source was necessary,
not only because of a lack of sufficient quantity, but because the
watersheds of Clear and Three Mile Creeks were becoming more urbanized,
endangering the quality of the supply. The source of supply recommended
by the Mobile Water Works to the City and Planning Commissions was
Big Creek Lake, located in the western part of Mobile County. The
"Big Creek" Project was placed in service in 1952 at a cost of $7,000,000,
which included the land, dams, pump house, reservoir, and pipelines.
The Big Creek impoundment was named J. B. Converse Reservoir in 1987,
but is commonly referred to as "Big Creek Lake". The pumping station
was named S. Palmer Gaillard Pumping Station.
is delivered from the 3,600 acre lake and pumping station by means
of two 60-inch diameter pipes to reservoirs at the H.E. Myers and
E.M. Stickney Water Treatment Plants. From the Stickney Plant reservoir,
at an elevation of 220 feet, industrial water is delivered by gravity
through 48-inch diameter pipes to industry at an elevation of about
25 feet .
STICKNEY FILTRATION PLANT
to World War II, there was no treatment of the raw water in Mobile,
other than minor chlorination. Even though the city was aware of the
situation, lack of funds prevented the construction of a treatment
plant. During the early part of the war, the U.S. Government, cognizant
of the circumstances, decided that properly treated water would help
the war effort. This resulted in the construction of a filtration
plant on Moffett Road, with Federal Works Administration funds, at
a cost of 1.3 million dollars. The plant went into operation in 1944.
After the war, the Government turned the plant over to the city of
Mobile, for a small fraction of the original cost.
Stickney Water Treatment Plant is one of two filtration plants in
Mobile. The second one is named the H.E. Myers Filtration Plant. Both
water treatment plants are permitted and regulated by the Alabama
Department of Environmental Management (ADEM). Monthly reporting of
plant operations is required. Such reports include the reporting of
maximum finished water turbidity and the quantity of water pumped.
MYERS FILTRATION PLANT
Myers Plant was placed into operation in 1990, in response to the
growth in the western and southern portions of the water service area.
Myers Plant is located on Hubert Pierce Road and is one of two water
treatment and filtration plants. The other one is named the E.M. Stickney
Filtration Plant. Both water treatment plants are permitted and regulated
by the Alabama Department of Environmental Management (ADEM). Monthly
reporting of plant operations is required. Such reports include the
reporting of maximum finished water turbidity and the quantity of